redwood forest background
Mendocino County Public Broadcasting
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations
Local News

Newcast: More Rain and Strong Winds Could Make for a Hazardous Thursday

Image of waves crashing against a Northern California cliff featuring a wind-tossed tree
Elise Cox
/
Midjourney
More rain and strong, gusty winds are expected before the storm dissipates

A powerful storm swept through Mendocino County late Tuesday and into Thursday, bringing gusts of up to 80 mph near Point Mendocino and 60 mph in the coastal areas of Fort Bragg and the Village of Mendocino. The National Weather Service warns that heavier rainfall and potential flooding are on the way.

“This storm has already caused significant impacts,” said James White of the National Weather Service. “We saw wind gusts exceeding 80 mph near Cape Mendocino and widespread gusts of 50 to 60 mph along the coast. Inland areas also experienced strong winds, with reports of power outages and downed trees.”

Rainfall totals as of Wednesday ranged from 2 to 5 inches across the county, with higher amounts recorded in northern areas like Laytonville and Willits. White cautioned that the storm is far from over, with an additional 5 to 10 inches of rain expected in northern Mendocino County and 3 to 6 inches in the south by Thursday.

“With the ground already saturated, we anticipate flooding in urban areas and along small streams, as well as landslides and road closures,” White added. Rivers such as the Russian, Navarro, and Garcia are expected to rise rapidly, potentially reaching flood stage by Friday.

Power Outages and Preparedness

The storm caused power outages, including one in Fort Bragg that briefly left more than 1,300 PG&E customers without electricity Wednesday morning. As well as an outage in the Village of Mendocino that started Wednesday afternoon and could continue until 8 p.m. on Thursday — or even later.

PG&E spokesperson Paul Moreno said the utility was well-prepared, with crews pre-positioned in areas expected to be hardest hit.“We’ve brought in additional crews from regions like Fresno and Bakersfield to assist local teams,” Moreno said. “For residents relying on medical devices, we offer portable battery backup systems. If you need assistance, call 211 for support.”

Emergency Services on Alert

Local fire departments reported minimal damage as of Wednesday afternoon. Little Lake Fire Protection District responded to a single tree limb falling onto a business, causing minor damage. “It’s been quiet so far,” said Michelle Schnitzius of Little Lake Fire Protection District.

The Comptche Volunteer Fire Department also reported limited incidents but remain on high alert, while Anderson Valley Fire Department was unaffected as of Wednesday afternoon.

“We’re ready to roll if conditions worsen,” said Battalion Chief Angela DeWitt of Anderson Valley Fire Department.

Advice for Residents

Jeff Adair, emergency services coordinator for the Mendocino Office of Emergency Services, urged residents to check on neighbors, especially those with medical needs, and to visit Mendoready.org for resources. Families were also reminded to stay connected with local schools for updates through apps like ParentSquare or social media channels.

Local News
Elise Cox worked as an editor and reporter for the San Jose Mercury News, Knight Ridder, U.S. News & World Report and other publications prior to moving to the Mendocino coast in 2022. She began reporting stories for KZYX in August 2024 and became news director in December 2024.